1356 Broadway, the landmark Haier Building, was originally constructed in 1922-1924 as the Greenwich Bank Building, designed by architects Edward Palmer York and Philip Sawyer. Haier America acquired the building in 2002 and it now serves as the company's headquarters.
Identified as one of the most refined examples of York & Sawyer bank buildings by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, the building is constructed in a classical Roman style encompassing a rusticated podium, monumental Corinthian columns, and a high attic.
The main entrance has two four-panel double bronze doors, leading into the 52,000 square foot interior. The exterior is clad in Indiana limestone above a polished pink granite base.
The building's location at Broadway and 36th Street presented some architectural challenges at the time of its construction; specifically the irregular quadrilateral created by Broadway's diagonal axis, and the gentle downward slope from 6th Avenue to Broadway. The three facades were skillfully composed, obscuring these inequalities.
In December 2002, cosmetic renovations and upgrades to the building's infrastructure were completed.